Popular Ways to Remove Facial Hair
Almost every part of the human body grows hair. That’s not very good news to most women since today’s beauty market calls for smooth, hairless skin. The only place that we really want hair is on top of our head. Unfortunately, we can find ourselves spending a lot of time and money trying to get rid of the unwanted body hair that crops up elsewhere. Facial hair is particularly distressing to women because it is so conspicuous. Facial hair is seen by society as a masculine trait and causes women to feel unattractive, less feminine and less confident.
Why Do Women Have Facial Hair?
Just like men, women produce hormones that cause the growth of facial hair, although not usually in the same quantity as men. It is typical for most women to have facial hair; however it is usually much lighter, finer and more minimal than facial hair found on men. It’s when facial hair grows in dark, or thick that women have a problem with it.
Removing Facial Hair
There are many options when it comes to removing facial hair – some temporary and some permanent. Temporary treatments can be very cost effective or free, while permanent solutions can be quite expensive. The method chosen depends on how much hair you want to get rid of, the coarseness and thickness of the hair, and the intensity of hair growth.
- Tweezing. Simple and inexpensive, plucking or tweezing is a good option for getting rid of isolated hairs or small patches of hair. Tweezing works especially well with individual chin hairs, stray eyebrow hairs, or the occasional upper lip hair that may crop up.
- Bleaching. Many women find that lightening their facial hair offers good results. Bleaching is helpful to women that have fine but dark hair on their faces. This technique can greatly reduce the appearance of hair, especially on the upper lip.
- Waxing. This technique is good for large, thick areas where tweezing would not be practical. Waxing is not permanent and can be expensive at a salon; however, there are home treatment options that can greatly reduce the cost. Waxing is a technique that works well for many women.
- Electrolysis. Long considered to be a good way to permanently remove hair, electrolysis is the process of inserting a fine needle into the hair shaft and destroying the root of the hair with an electric current. Electrolysis is expensive and may take several sessions to achieve desired results. It can also be uncomfortable.
- Laser Hair Removal. This is by far the best way to remove hair permanently, but it is quite costly and it doesn’t work for everyone. Laser hair removal only works on hair that is darker than the surrounding skin. This leaves out blonde hair or hair that has turned gray or white.
Facial hair on women is simply not a part of our society’s beauty standards. For this reason, many women are willing to spend time and money getting rid of it. Fortunately, there are many ways to effectively eradicate the problem of facial hair.