We’ve all had that experience of getting home from a party late, feeling as if we have just one eye open as we undress and prepare for bed. On such nights, it’s easy to look at your skin care products
and think, “One night won’t hurt,” and then simply head to bed without having touched them.
While it’s true that skipping your healthy skin care routine for just one night isn’t likely to have long-term negative effects on your skin, short-term problems, such as acne blemishes, blackheads, skin irritation and signs of dryness, can arise from missing one night. This doesn’t mean that you have to perform your complete multi-step beauty routine after a long night either. To help you take the best care of your skin post-party, I’ve put together this list of tips.Take It All Off
– The first thing you should do when you return home from a party is remove all of your makeup
. Fortunately, makeup removers
are available in a variety of options from no-rinse formulas, to wash-away varieties to disposable wipes, so you can decide which type is the quickest and easiest for you to use post-party.Clean Up Your Act
– Once you’ve removed your makeup, you’ll need to thoroughly wash your face to remove excess oil from your complexion and debris from your pores. When choosing cleansers
, look for one designed specifically for your skin type to ensure that you’re giving your complexion what it needs to look its best.Get Automated
– My secret weapon for post party skin care is the Clarisonic
cleansing system. This hand-held cleansing tool has a head that spins, loosening dirt and oil. The device does all the work for you, making it perfect for use post-party. The most compact models in the collection are the Clarisonic Mia
and the Clarisonic Mia 2
. Both are proven to be 2 times more effective than cleansing with your hands or a washcloth and are highly praised in Clarisonic reviews
. In addition, the devices are both available in beautiful colors, such as the Clarisonic Mia Sonic Cleansing System – Lavender
and the Clarisonic Mia 2 Sonic Cleansing System – Pink
. The main difference between the Mia and Mia 2 is that the Mia 2 has a T-Timer, which signals when you should shift the device to the next quadrant of your face. This can be a real lifesaver when you’re too exhausted after a party to even count the seconds.Watch Your Tone
- Whether you wash your face the traditional way or with a mechanical cleansing device like the Clarisonic Mia Sonic Cleansing System – Lavender
, you should follow up by toning your skin after the party ends. Toners
help to regulate your skin’s pH level to normalize your complexion. When you choose a therapeutic toner like the DDF Glycolic Toning Complex
, toning can also remove dead skin from your complexion. By exfoliating while you tone, products like the DDF Glycolic Toning Complex
have the ability to soften the appearance of wrinkles, decrease the likelihood of acne breakouts, minimize areas of skin discoloration and diminish enlarged pores.Keep Things Moist
- The final step to a healthy post-party skin care regimen is applying a moisturizer. Even if you have oily skin, moisturizers
provide essential nourishment that helps to keep your skin conditioned, youthful and radiant. I recommend choosing a therapeutic moisturizer, so that you can provide extra benefits to your complexion while you cleanse. For example if you’re using a DDF
toner and have a normal, combination or oily complexion, you could follow up with the DDF Ultra Light Oil Free Moisturizing Dew
- To make your skin care regimen as simple as possible for yourself when you get home, have your bathroom set up when you leave. On your sink, line up your makeup remover, your cleanser, your Clarisonic
device, your toner, your moisturizer and cotton pads and swabs for application. If everything is at the ready, you’ll be more likely to follow through with your skin care routine, even when you’re tired.
By maintaining your skin care
routine with essential products like makeup removers
and face cleansers
in addition to face toners
and face moisturizers
, your skin will look and feel better day after day, and that will give you something to truly party about.
Much of actress Jennie Garth's life has been lived in the public eye. We watched her grow from a teenager to a young adult playing Kelly Taylor on the nighttime drama "Beverly Hills 90210." The press followed her romance with and marriage to actor Peter Facinelli, and their recent divorce played out just as publicly. Having gained weight in recent years, Jennie has worked hard to slim down 30 pounds and is now using her status as a celebrity to encourage other women to get fit and feel better about their bodies.
Jennie's weight loss story is an inspiration for anyone who's looking to lose; whether you're 10 pounds or 100 pounds away from your ideal weight, you can follow Jennie's lead and see results. Some of Jennie's most helpful weight loss secrets include:
- The best diet is a sensible one. Jennie is a big critic of fad diets. To lose weight, she watched portion size and calorie counts.
- Choosing nutritious foods is integral to weight management. Healthy fruits and vegetables are a big part of Jennie's daily meals, and she looks for new ways to enjoy them, such as making beet smoothies.
- You can make many foods you love healthier by swapping ingredients. Jennie has explained how she substitutes caloric foods with more wholesome alternatives. For example, she now uses Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise and sour cream.
- A trainer plays an important role in fitness. Jennie worked with a trainer to develop an exercise plan that works for her. She started off with weight training and now meets with her trainer just 3 days per week. Most gyms have trainers on staff so you don't have to hire an outside professional to help you get started.
- Being active doesn't have to mean hitting the gym. Jennie has explained that she very rarely sits down. When she's doing things at home, she does them standing. She plays active games with her children and tries to keep moving as much as possible to maximize calorie burn.
- Weight management is a lifestyle. Now that Jennie has lost the weight, she still maintains a healthy diet and works out. She doesn't view her weight loss as a once-in-a-lifetime event. The changes that led to her success were simple enough to be sustainable, so that she can maintain her weight loss results for life.
If you're ready to get serious about weight management, there are many resources available. Start by talking to your doctor about your concerns and get cleared to begin an exercise and training program. As you get started, be patient with yourself. You didn't gain weight over night, so don't expect to suddenly be your ideal size over night either. Celebrate milestones along the way and remember that you're worth the hard work.
Okay…I’m hooked on A Beautiful Mess daily blog. This blog authored by two lovely ladies, Elsie and Emma, is anything but a mess! The girls say their mission is to simply blog about helping all of us to create a more beautiful life. And they’ve certainly achieved their mission! I love their ideas for recipes, inspirational motivations, fashion sense and most of all their posts on cool DIY projects. Check out their May 3rd, 2013 post, Bring the Outdoors In and you’ll see exactly what I mean!
Your complexion is greatly affected by the weather, and the change of seasons can mean differences in the look and feel of your skin. To help normalize your complexion and keep your skin healthy, it's important to adjust your skin care regimen in accordance with the seasons.
With the warm weather upon us, I wanted to research the best ways to modify skin care routines for the spring and summer. Here's a break down of how you can change your skin care routine, depending on your skin type.
- For all complexions: During the spring and summer, the Earth's tilt changes, bringing the Northern Hemisphere closer to the sun. As a result, the sun's rays are more intense, and there's a greater chance for UV-related skin damage. The most important change that you should make to your regimen with the shifting weather is adding an SPF moisturizer to your regimen and wearing an additional full coverage broad-spectrum sunscreen when you plan to be outdoors for more than an hour. Adequate sun protection can help minimize your risk of developing sun-related skin imperfections and some types of skin cancer.
- If you have oily or combination skin: Increased humidity can often mean an increase in oily shine in the T-zone. Try adding a pore refining primer or a mattifying treatment to your daytime skin care regimen to minimize oil production. Use an oil-control mask once per week to keep your pores clear throughout the warm weather months.
- If you have dry skin: Symptoms of dry skin are often completely or partially alleviated by increased humidity. While the weather is warm, you may want to switch to a lighter moisturizer, which will keep your skin from feeling greasy on hot, sticky days.
- If you have sensitive skin: Changing weather in the spring also means the arrival of allergy season. While hay fever symptoms don't typically affect the complexion, some ladies with sensitive skin notice that they have more frequent hypersensitivity reactions when their nasal allergy symptoms are severe. You may need to switch to a gentle skin care regimen until allergy season passes or purchase a hypoallergenic skin soothing treatment to alleviate redness and stinging.
- If you have aging skin: As discussed before, skin damage is more likely when the weather becomes warm, so it's time to increase your skin's defenses. To protect your complexion, use skin care products enriched with antioxidants like coenzyme Q10, idebenone, alpha linoleic acid and vitamins A, C and E. Every evening, you should also apply a skin firming treatment with either protein-rich natural ingredients like marine collagen or cosmeceutical ingredients like peptides and amino acids.
Because the weather is often unpredictable until very late spring, you may want to begin preparing your skin for the change of seasons by purchasing mini or trial size products that you can use interchangeably with your cold weather skin care products. This will also allow you to try out new formulas before you commit to large sizes.
When you’re on the run at work or exhausted at the end of the day, it’s only natural to feel tempted by quick and easy meals. We all know that good nutrition is important to our health, but it’s easy to lose sight of that with our busy lives and so many unhealthy dining options readily available. One way to help you stick to your healthy diet is to remind yourself of the many benefits of good nutrition. By having tangible benefits in mind, you’re more likely to resist temptation, make healthy food choices and remember to take your vitamins and supplements
I have researched the reasons why proper nutrition is important and put together this top five list. In addition, I’ve found some recommendations for multivitamins
and supplements that you can add to your diet if one of these reasons is at the top of your concerns.
1. Weight management
– Supporting your metabolism is key to weight management
, making choosing healthy, nutritious foods and eating a balanced diet important for all women. If you’ve picked up weight, using weight management supplements
like the Perricone MD Health and Weight Management Dietary Supplements
can help you metabolize fat more effectively to encourage safe, healthy weight loss. The Perricone MD Health and Weight Management Dietary Supplements
are complete regimens of vitamins, minerals and herbs that boost fat metabolism. If you need assistance with appetite control
to help you lose weight, the Perricone MD The Metabolic Formula Dietary Supplement
or a similar appetite suppressant may help. The Perricone MD
supplements were formulated by a physician and rigorously tested for safety; research any other brands of weight control supplements that you consider to be certain that they are as well. There are many other reputable brands of supplements available, including Imedeen
2. Improved digestion
– Many women suffer from digestive problems, such as chronic constipation and indigestion. A diet that is high in dietary fiber can help you remain regular. Studies have also found that certain bacteria in the digestive tract are important to healthy digestion. You can help regulate levels of these “good” bacteria by eating acidophilus-rich yogurt and by taking probiotics
3. Better sex
– When your diet is lacking in key nutrients, you may find yourself feeling too tired for sex or notice that you experience less frequent or less satisfying orgasms. Eating a well balanced diet, avoiding overeating and using sexual wellness supplements
can all help to increase your stamina, make you more eager for intimacy and help you to enjoy sex more.
4. More beautiful skin and hair
– It’s true; eating right does improve the health of your skin and hair. Fish oil and omegas
are shown to leave the skin looking plumper and firmer, while protein is necessary for building strong hair strands. Perricone MD
, Imedeen and other brands produce multivitamins
and supplements for beauty. My favorites are Imedeen Time Perfection
for women aged 35 to 50 and Imedeen Prime Renewal
for post-menopausal women. These supplements help to protect the skin from signs of aging with a blend of antioxidants. They also provide the body with key nutrients to strengthen and tone the skin tissue.
5. Stronger bones and joints
– For a woman, it’s never too early to begin thinking about bone and joint
health. The risk of osteoporosis and bone loss increases dramatically with age, but by ensuring that you receive an adequate supply of calcium and minerals
now, you can decrease your chances of having problems in the future. Sardines and dairy products are dietary sources of these important nutrients, but many supplements are also available to help you strengthen your bones and joints.
Before taking any new vitamins, minerals, probiotics
or dietary supplements, be sure to talk to your doctor. While products like Imedeen Time Perfection
and Perricone MD The Metabolic Formula Dietary Supplement
are tested for safety, there is a chance that the ingredients that they or any other dietary supplement may contain could interact with other medications or supplements that you take. Your doctor may also be able to recommend additional natural treatments to help you meet your wellness goals.
When you're headed out to dinner or to a club or a show, you consider every detail of your outfit from your ear earrings to your shoes, but when it comes to going to the beach, many of us simply bust out an old t-shirt and flip-flops to go with our bathing suit. Whether you're wearing a one-piece, a monokini, a tankini or a classic two-piece, you'll feel more confident and beautiful when you accessorize your swimsuit in style.
A matching sarong in a complementary print or solid color is a great way to cover up and dress up your bathing suit; however, many women shy away from sarongs because they're not sure how to wear them. Here are a few of my favorite ways to sport a sizzling sarong.
1. Fold the sarong in half and tie it at the waist with the knot at your hip for a sexy peek at your legs as you walk.
2. Show off a pretty swimsuit bottom by folding your sarong in half and tying it in the front.
3. Turn your sarong into a maxi skirt by folding the top third down and then tying it at the waist in the back. The long skirt is a hot style this season, and this look is great for ladies who feel modest walking through the lobby at the resort.
4. Go for the traditional sarong look by halving it into a triangle instead of a rectangle. Wrap the ends around your waist and tie at the sides. This is a classic beach look that is sure to put you in the mood for a tropical drink.
5. Tie the sarong at your chest after folding it into a rectangle. This will give a tempting peek at the full length of your swimsuit and show off your gams.
6. Create a sexy wrap dress by pulling the sarong across your back. Take the ends around the front of your body and then tie them behind your neck. This look is perfect for those days when you head over to the poolside restaurant for lunch or the tiki bar at happy hour.
7. Mix things up by using an alternative to a knot. Brooches and decorative hair clips can look very beautiful securing a sarong, just be sure you fully catch both layers of fabric to avoid a wardrobe malfunction when you're on the way to the pool or the beach.
Remember: you can purchase a wide variety of sarongs from prints to solids. Don't limit yourself to just the sarongs meant to match your particular swimsuit. Feel free to mix and match pieces just the way you would other items in your wardrobe. There are no rules for how you can wear your sarong, so have fun experimenting with different looks.
The appearance of fine lines and wrinkles is one of the top skin care concerns of women. Signs of aging can begin to develop at any age, particularly if the complexion suffers damage from the sun or environmental pollutants, and I receive many questions from women regarding anti-aging skin care as a result. Today, I wanted to share with you some readers’ questions that I feel can help many women in their quest to obtain more youthful complexions.1. There are so many products for anti-aging on the market and my doctor says I should use clinically proven brands. What’s the advantage?
Your doctor's advice is definitely sound. Clinically proven brands are those that have been extensively researched in a laboratory setting, similarly to the way prescription medications are tested prior to their release on the market. The testing provides data on the efficacy of the formulas, so when you select a clinically proven skin care
formula, you can be more assured that it will better likely produce results for your complexion. In addition, clinically proven formulas are also tested for safety.
An example of a clinically proven anti-aging system is the SkinCeuticals
skin care collection. The brand rigorously tests all of its anti-aging formulas, such as the very popular SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
serum. This treatment is intended for addressing signs of photo damage, including fine lines, inflammation and hyperpigmentation. In clinical studies, the formula was shown to not only improve signs of damage, but also to reduce damage to the skin by as much as 96 percent.2. I keep hearing about antioxidants. What are they and which ones are most effective? Can you recommend any specific products?
An antioxidant is a nutrient that is capable of neutralizing reactive particles in the environment known as free radicals. Your skin is constantly exposed to free radicals, which over time; damage the structure of your skin cells. Antioxidants transform these particles into harmless molecules like oxygen, preventing cellular damage. With regular use, antioxidants can strengthen the skin’s defenses, making it less vulnerable to common problems. There are many antioxidants that are effective at protecting the complexion, including coenzyme Q10, polyphenols, ferulic acid, idebenone, lutein, zeaxanthin, astaxanthin, alpha lipoic acid and vitamins A, C and E.
Many skin care brands produce antioxidant anti-aging formulas. One of my favorite products is SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF
. This formula contains a blend of ferulic acid, the polyphenol phloretin and vitamin C. A winner of multiple awards, the anti-aging serum is clinically shown to reduce cellular damage and decrease the likelihood of the development of hyperpigmentation when used daily.3. I have considered a face-lift but the traditional procedure is quite gruesome. Are there new, less invasive procedures?
Today, there are many clinical interventions available as alternatives to the traditional facelift, and each alternative is ideal for specific skin care concerns. Most facelift alternatives focus on strengthening the skin by activating the skin cells. Some women experience results from treatments that use heat to encourage collagen production and firm the skin. Lasers can also be utilized to stimulate the skin cells and tone loose, sagging skin to soften signs of aging. Microcurrent facelifts are increasing in popularity and involve using controlled electrical current applied to the skin to rejuvenate the facial cells.
In addition to clinical treatments that provide cellular stimulation, facelift alternatives can address signs of aging by working directly on lines and wrinkles. Injectables like botulinum toxin A reduce contractions in the skin tissue, making fine lines flatten. Injections of collagen or hyaluronic acid can also be used to plump the skin and fill in wrinkles. Chemical peels remove the outer layer of skin tissue, which decreases the depth of wrinkles. And of course, there are topical face treatments
that you can use at home in lieu of a facelift.
4. There has been a lot of news about human growth hormone and how it can help with aging skin. Are there any brands offering this new technology?
Human growth hormone is one of the most exciting new ingredients developed by the skin care industry in recent years. This natural or synthetically produced hormone revitalizes the skin cells, encouraging them to restart protein manufacturing in areas where the skin tissue has been weakened. Neocutis
is well known for developing skin care products
that contain human growth hormone. The brand's Neocutis Bio-Restorative Serum with PSP
combines the hormone with an amino acid and peptide blend that provides the skin with raw materials necessary for protein production. In clinical studies, the treatment was shown to begin producing results in as little as 7 to 14 days. A slightly milder version of the formula is also available for the eye area and is called Neocutis Lumiere Riche Bio-Restorative Eye Balm with PSP
5. I’m only in my 30s but I have premature aged skin. Why could this be and can I take steps to keep it from getting worse?
First of all, you're not alone, many women see their first signs of aging develop in their 30s. It's probably not possible for even your doctor to definitively tell you why your skin has aged prematurely, as usually, many factors contribute to the development of signs of aging.
Sun damage is the leading cause of premature aging, and it doesn't always come simply from sunbathing or hitting the tanning bed. Your skin is exposed to the sun every day, and that constant exposure adds up to damage over time. If you don't use a daily moisturizer with SPF to protect your skin, you should start, and be sure to apply a sunscreen when you'll be outdoors for an hour or more at a time.
Smoking is another major cause of premature aging, so talk to your doctor about strategies to quit if you're currently using tobacco. Chronic skin dehydration leaves the skin more prone to wrinkling, making the use of a moisturizer twice per day essential to protecting your complexion from wrinkles. A poor diet and stress can also contribute to signs of aging; be sure to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and take time for yourself to relax and unwind.
Remember: no anti-aging skin care
regimen will begin producing results overnight. When you start using a new product or system, be patient and give the formulas several weeks to a few months to work.
Please ask your doctors these questions and any other questions you might have. It’s important to follow your doctor’s advice before starting any skin care regimen.
We all know that whole grains are good for us and an important part of a healthy diet; the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the majority of nutritionists recommend that we eat 6 to 11 servings of whole grains per day. If you're like many people, your go-to grain is whole wheat, but after a while, it can become tedious eating the same grain day-in and day-out.
To help you add some more healthy variety to your diet, I did some research and put together this list of five alternative healthy grains.
1. Bulgur - This form of cracked wheat is very popular throughout Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines. One serving of bulgur wheat provides more than 50 percent of your daily supply of manganese and is also packed with fiber.
How to Eat It: One of the most popular bulgur dishes is tabbouleh, a salad that combines the grain with fresh chopped parsley, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and is dressed with olive oil and lemon juice.
2. Buckwheat - This hardy grain is grown throughout Russia and Asia and has an earthy taste that some describe as being similar to a mushroom. One serving of buckwheat gives you more than 20 percent of your daily requirements for magnesium, copper and manganese.
How to Eat It: Buckwheat pancake mix is readily available in many stores and makes for a delicious breakfast. Another easy to way to enjoy buckwheat is to purchase Japanese buckwheat soba noodles and prepare them with a stir-fry or a soup.
3. Quinoa - Quinoa is technically a seed, but the Whole Grains Council and nutritionists include it with whole grains because of its nutritional properties. The seeds have a slightly nutty taste and contain a complete supply of amino acids. In addition, quinoa offers more than 10 percent of your daily supply for protein and is a good source of phosphorous, magnesium and manganese.
How to Eat It: Quinoa is delicious when added to muffins and cookies and can be eaten as a breakfast cereal instead of oatmeal. You can also use quinoa in any dish that calls for rice.
4. Amaranth - This grain was first cultivated by Native Americans throughout Central and South America. Like bulgur, amaranth supplies you with more than 50 percent of your required manganese for the day and also contains more than 20 percent of the recommended magnesium and phosphorous for a standard 2,000-calorie diet.
How to Eat It: Amaranth can be popped in the microwave like popcorn and eaten as a snack. The popped kernels are also delicious topped with soymilk, low fat almond milk or low fat cow's milk and fruit.
5. Teff - The world's smallest grain, teff is a staple of Ethiopian cooking. Although you may need to order it online, teff is definitely a must try grain. One serving gives you an entire day's supply of manganese and more than 20 percent of your daily copper requirements. The grain is also rich in protein, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, thiamin and pyridoxine. The grain is also gluten-free.
How to Eat It: Teff flour can be used in place of wheat in almost any recipe. White teff grain is an excellent substitute for rice, and brown teff grain can be used in desserts, as it has an almost chocolate-like taste.
Getting 6 to 11 servings of whole grains will be much easier if you try to mix up the types that you're eating. Also, be sure to spread out the servings throughout the day and check labels to ensure that you truly understand what a portion size is--it's probably smaller than you think!
Self-described London bound girl, beauty blogger Michelle from Beauty and the Blog
continues to keep me entertained and informed when it comes to all things beauty…Particularly when it comes to her keen fashion-forward sense. Check out her April 22nd post Talullah Tu
, where she previews some great jeweled pieces from the fab collection and shares their website with us. Beautiful indeed!
Hair thinning is one topic that fills many women with dread. No one wants to be confronted with the idea of losing their hair, but in reality, many women develop symptoms of thinning during their lives. The problem is so widespread that I seem to receive more questions about hair loss and hair regrowth and thickening
than nearly any other topic. Today, I want to provide answers to five questions that I received from readers regarding hair care
for thinning.1. I used to have thick, beautiful hair but now that I’m menopausal, it’s thinning. Why is this happening?
While hair-thinning problems can strike women of any age, menopause is one of the most common causes of hair loss in women. During menopause, the levels of your female sex hormones like estrogen and progesterone fall sharply, and the amount of androgens or male sex hormones in your body, like testosterone, start to rise. For many women, testosterone has a negative effect upon the hair follicles, causing them to shrink. This makes the openings on the follicles narrow and the hairs that emerge from them less thick. As a result, you notice thinning on the scalp. If you’re experiencing hair thinning during menopause, talk to your doctor. Estrogen therapies, natural remedies or hair and scalp treatments
may be able to improve the thickness and fullness of your hair.2. What can I do to stop my hair loss? Is there any chance of re-growing what I have lost?
Yes, there are treatments available to help you slow down hair loss and possibly regrow your hair. There seems to be an endless array of topical hair care products
on the market for treating female pattern baldness and other types of hair loss in women, but it’s important to note that of these, only minoxidil products like women’s Rogaine
are FDA approved as medicinal hair loss treatments. Rogaine contains minoxidil, a medication that disrupts the effects of testosterone upon the hair follicles and allows them to widen. As a result, hairs can grow thicker on the scalp and regrow in areas that were previously bare. When selecting Rogaine products, be sure to choose one that is made especially for women like the Women’s Rogaine Hair Regrowth Treatment Topical Solution 3 Pack Unscented
. Using a men’s Rogaine product is not recommended for women due to differences in the minoxidil dosage requirements.3. I just started using Rogaine but is there a product that will make my hair look thicker today?
Women’s Rogaine does take several weeks to begin producing results, but you definitely can improve the look of your hair in the meantime. The Jan Marini Skin Research
collection features products that help to improve hair’s thickness through a proprietary peptide blend. These peptides stimulate the scalp and add broadness to the hair strands, making them appear thicker. My favorite formula in the collection is the Jan Marini Hair Revitalizing Conditioner
, which is clinically shown to visibly improve the thickness of the hair within as little as 2 weeks. By using a product like this, you can start to cosmetically improve the thickness of your hair while waiting for Rogaine to begin to encourage new growth.4. I tried minoxidil but it makes my scalp itchy and scaly. Is there something else I can try?
Scalp irritation is a side effect of minoxidil that makes some women unable to continue treatment. If you’re among them, a HairMax LaserComb
may be beneficial. HairMax
products are FDA-approved for use by both men and women and use laser light to stimulate the hair follicles. For some women, this stimulation results in the growth of hair in areas of thinning on the scalp. In clinical studies, HairMax
combs were shown to produce noticeable results for 90 percent of users within 3 to 4 months. The basic model in the collection is the HairMax LaserComb Advanced 7
, which is the most affordable way to get the benefits of the laser comb. You may also opt for the HairMax LaserComb Lux 9
, which uses the same laser system, but has enhanced features like a digital display that tells you the amount of time remaining in your treatment.5. I expected to lose some hair over the years but my eye lashes have also thinned. Is this normal? What can I do about it?
Unfortunately, thinning of the eyelashes
is a common problem among women and occurs for many of the same reasons as scalp thinning. It’s not safe to use products like Rogaine on the eyelashes, so it is imperative to look for formulas that are designed for the eye area. Jan Marini
makes a solution that uses a peptide complex similar to the one I previously discussed in this post. Called Jan Marini Skin Research Marini Lash
, the formula is clinically shown to enhance the thickness of the eyelashes without the use of side effect-causing prostaglandins, which are found in some lash products. The product is available in both the regular size and the Jan Marini Marini Lash – Small
. Another option is the RevitaLash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner
, a topical solution that uses botanicals to moisturize the lashes and peptides to add strength and even potentially lessen the chance of the early fallout of lashes that haven’t quite possibly reached their resultant end.
I always love receiving questions from readers, so keep them coming ladies! I’ll be glad to answer anything on beauty and health related topics, including hair thinning, hair regrowth
and general hair health.
Spring marks the start of the early wedding season and the official start of the bridal fashion season. Recently, top designers debuted their 2013 collections on runways throughout the world. This year's bridal gowns were very wearable, which is good news for ladies planning to get married this year or next. If you're getting ready to go gown shopping and want a gown in keeping with what's hot in bridal fashion, here are 7 looks to try.
1. Lovely Lace - Designers were wild about lace this season, using it in everything from skirt overlays to bodice overlays to accents over satin or taffeta.
2. A Bit of Illusion - The illusion neckline was back in a big way for 2013. This look incorporates a strapless bodice with a sheer sleeveless overlay that travels to the neck. This season, illusion necklines were shown plain and accented with lace, crystals and beads.
3. Think Pink - For the bride who doesn't want to wear white, soft light pink or blush is the color of the season. Labels from couture designers to bargain brands showed light pink dresses on the runways.
4. Everything's Coming Up Flowers - Flowers were in abloom in this season's wedding gowns. Some designers combined the flower look with the lace trend by adding floral patterns, while others placed large silk flowers as accents at the shoulders or the waist.
5. Something Up Your Sleeve - Sheer sleeves in chiffon or lace were very popular looks this year. Perfect for brides concerned about the chill, these looks included half, three-quarter and full-length styles.
6. Fancy Waists - The peplum or waist ruffle was a dominant trend on the runways at the bridal shows. This look is perfect for balancing the shapes of the upper and lower bodies and can give the illusion of a narrow waist or fuller hips.
7. Frills Aplenty - The romantic look of this season's bridal gowns was enhanced by frilled skirts. From mermaid tails to ball gowns, the skirts of many gowns were covered in rows of delicate frills that gracefully swirled along the runways.
The most important thing about bridal fashion is that your dress suits you. Keep the current trends in mind, but don't feel restricted to only choosing dresses with one of these features. After all, what will make a dress most beautiful is the radiant bride who wears it on her wedding day.
Mother's Day is nearly here, so it's time to start thinking about what to get Mom. A pampering collection of beauty can be a thoughtful gift for any mother and an unexpected alternative to flowers and candy. To help make Mother's Day shopping a little easier this year, I put together this Top 10 Gifts for Mother’s Day 2013. I hope it will help you find the perfect thing for your mother in no time.
1. Philosophy Amazing Grace Mothers Are a Gift Fragrance Layering Collection
– This year, Philosophy
has released a special Philosophy Amazing Grace mother’s day fragrance layering collection
, which is made with Mom in mind. The set includes a spray fragrance, body butter and pink nail polish, all scented with the most popular fragrance in the Philosophy
line. The Philosophy Amazing Grace
scent is very lightweight and won’t overpower Mom’s senses.
2. Clarisonic PLUS Skin Care System with Spot Treatment – White
produces hand-held cleansing devices that deeply clean the pores and exfoliate the complexion. The Clarisonic Plus Skin Care System & Spot Therapy Kit
has a special mode for problem zones like the elbows and feet, allowing Mom to enjoy the cleansing benefits of a Clarisonic Plus
while recreating spa-quality exfoliating treatments at home. Clarisonic
systems are clinically shown to increase the absorption of other skin care products as well, so your gift will give her entire daily regimen a boost.
3. Alterna BAMBOO Smooth Shampoo and Conditioner Duo
– Looking for a gift for a Mom that is always upset over bad hair days? The Alterna BAMBOO Smooth Shampoo and Conditioner Duo
is a perfect fit. This duo from Alterna
includes Alterna BAMBOO Smooth
shampoo and conditioner products, which work together to reduce frizz and strengthen damaged hair strands. To deliver results, Alterna
uses bamboo extract and other natural ingredients, making the duo perfect for eco-conscious mamas.
4. Too Faced Natural Eye Neutral Eye Shadow Collection
– Mom is sure to love experimenting with the beautiful shades in this Too Faced Natural Eye Shadow Collection
. The Too Faced
palette includes nine different eye shadow shades, grouped together to make it easy to create lovely makeup looks, and their neutral tones make the palette perfect for everyday use. In addition, Too Faced
provides tutorial cards in the cover of the case to make cosmetic application foolproof.
5. Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Resurfacing Kit
– If Mom has been teasing about plastic surgery or laser treatments to address signs of aging, the Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Resurfacing Kit
is a great gift for her. This set includes three products that contain a unique ingredient to Peter Thomas Roth
products—dragon’s blood extract. This red resin derived from a tree in the Amazon alleviates inflammation and encourages cellular rejuvenation. In clinical trials, the Peter Thomas Roth
products were shown to begin producing results after just one application.
6. Taymor Spa Essentials Bath Caddy Gift Ensemble
– Taymor Spa is known for producing affordable beauty gift sets
that are very practical, and this collection is no exception. The set includes a loofah pad, a bathing poof, a nailbrush and a pumice stone as well as a shower caddy and a reading rack. With these spa essentials, Mom can easily transform her tub into a day spa.
7. Calvin Klein Obsession Eau de Parfum Spray for Women
- This is one of the best sellers among all perfume and cologne
collections, so you can’t go wrong by choosing it as a Mother’s Day gift. The classic fragrance is exotic and spicy, yet it is not too heavy for daytime wear.
8. HoMedics – Dual Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Heat
- After a long day at the office or working around the home, Mom deserves a little massage and relaxation
time. This cushion allows her to give herself a massage while sitting in a chair. The pad has 12 separate nodes to fully treat the back and uses heat to soothe aching, tired muscles. A remote control is included, so Mom can start and stop her treatment without turning around.
9. Marsona TSCi-330 Travel Sound Conditioner
- Is Mom frequently on the road for work, or does she take long vacations? Get her one of these from a travel store
and treat her to a more restful night's sleep when she's away from home. This unique device produces soothing white noise that drowns out the echoes from noisy streets or hotel hallways. Solid-state electronics make it very durable, and the sound conditioner is so compact that it can fit into carry-on luggage with ease.
10. ANSR Sole Rechargeable Handheld Callus Remover
- With summer quickly approaching, Mom is likely thinking about foot care
and sandals, so consider a gift that will help her get the perfect pedi. The hand-held tool contains a polishing plate that safely files away rough spots on the feet. A silicone ring captures the cellular debris to eliminate the mess that often accompanies the use of a traditional foot file.
Whatever gift you choose for Mom, make sure to pick up a thoughtful card to go with it. If you decide to buy online and ship directly to your mother, use the gift wrapping option and add a message to make your present a little extra special.
Plants are crucial to our survival. They release oxygen into the atmosphere. They provide us natural fibers for clothing. They form an important part of a healthy diet, and increasingly, western medicine is accepting that the extracts contained in many plants are beneficial for our health and well-being.
As the benefits of essential oils become more widely accepted, these fragrant, nutrient-rich extracts are finding their way into many types of skin and hair care products. Today, I want to review some of the best of the best of these formulas, produced by some of the biggest names in natural skin care like L'Occitane
and Art of Shaving
Fighting the Effects of Aging with Essential Oils
collection of skin care, bath and body
products uses essential oils derived from plants found in the beautiful countryside of Provence, France, and other regions of the country. One of the most well-known and effective lines in the range is the L’Occitane Immortelle
collection, which features the oil obtained from the rare immortelle flower, which grows on the French island of Corsica.
Immortelle flowers contain nutrients that help protect the plant from environmental stress, and the oil derived from its stems, buds and leaves is rich in these antioxidants. When applied to the skin, the antioxidants form a barrier that limits the effects of free radicals, the reactive particles that cause wrinkles and fine lines to appear on the complexion.L’Occitane Immortelle Precious Cream
incorporates nourishing immortelle extract with a blend of rich emollients. Perfect for women with dry skin who are concerned about signs of aging, the formula releases moisture to the skin continuously for 24 hours.
The benefits of the L’Occitane Immortelle Precious Cream
for the face are mirrored in the L’Occitane Ultra Rich Eye Balm with Shea Butter
. This eye treatment softens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes while fighting signs of dehydration. For those with normal to oily skin, the skin care, bath and spa
collection also contains the L’Occitane Immortelle Eye Balm
, which is lighter in weight.Essential Oils for the Perfect Shave
The Art of Shaving
focuses on luxury skin care for men
, creating shaving and grooming products
that are rich in essential oils. The collection is intended to make skin care easier for men and to help fight against the irritation caused by razors.
Two of the most effective and most glowingly reviewed products in the skin care range are The Art of Shaving Cream Lavender
and The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil Lavender
. As their names suggest, these formulas contain the essential oil of the lavender flower, which is commonly used in the treatments of practitioners of aromatherapy & essential oils
therapies. Lavender has both a calming effect on the skin and on the senses, so it’s perfect for alleviating the symptoms of inflammation and redness that accompany shaving.
Made with 100 percent pure essential oils, The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil Lavender
has a softening effect upon the beard and readies the facial skin for shaving. Applying the oil prior to shaving greatly reduces the likelihood of razor burn, especially when the formula is paired with The Art of Shaving Cream Lavender
. This rich cream combines glycerin and coconut oil with lavender extract to soften, moisturize and soothe the skin throughout shaving. The cream perfectly lubricates the contours of the face, making nicks and cuts far less likely.Essential Oils for Beauty and RelaxationBath and body oils
made with pure essential oils aren’t just beneficial for the facial skin. Essential oils can be used for alternative health care treatments, intensive hair care treatments, massage and relaxation
Just like your face, your hair can become dry and show signs of damage due to the effects of sunlight, pollution and your lifestyle. The PHYTO Huile d’Ales Intense Hydrating Oil Treatment with Essential Oils Dry Hair
is a hair care treatment designed to restore moisture to the hair stands, making your locks easier to style. To deliver results, the formula contains a blend of wheat-strengthening rice proteins and essential oils like calendula, castor, sage, lemon, rosemary and juniper. The formula is ideal for anyone with dry, damaged hair, even those with color-treated locks.
Numerous studies have been conducted about the effects of pure tea tree oil, an essential oil that has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Because of its unique properties, natural practitioners use tea tree oil preparations like NOW Essential Oils Tea Tree Oil
as solutions for acne, minor skin infections and lice. The essential oil is also very soothing when added to a bath or to warm water as a foot soak.
For those interested in leading a more natural life, products that contain essential oils can offer effective solutions. In addition to the products I’ve mentioned, there are dozens and dozens of others available on the market. By researching them on your own, you can discover new ways to use the best of what plants have to offer to improve your appearance.
You simply can't underestimate the effect that your eyebrows have upon the overall look of your face. Don't believe me? Do a quick Google Image search for "actresses without eyebrows," and check out the first few results of photographs to see how beautiful celebrities look without them! Once you become an eyebrow believer, you're sure to want to keep yours looking perfectly sculpted and smooth, so follow these 10 tips to get the perfect tweeze.
1. Shower first. You should always tweeze freshly cleansed, exfoliated eyebrows. While you can simply wash your face in the sink before tweezing, showering helps to dilate your pores, allowing the hairs to slip out more easily. This means less tugging and less pain.
2. Draw guide lines or use a stencil. When you're first beginning to get your eyebrows into perfect shape at home, pre-draw the correct shape onto your brow and then comb your brows flat. Some cosmetics companies even make stencils that you can use to easily get the perfect arch. This will help prevent over-plucking and unevenness. I like to use a white eyeliner or illuminating eye pencil to make my lines.
3. The perfect starting place. The inner corners of your eyebrows should line up with the middles of your nostrils. Use an eyebrow pencil to determine this position and make a mark to guide you.
4. Finish strong. The outer corner of your eyebrows should line up diagonally with the outside corner of your eye.
5. Add the arch. The arch of your eyebrows should be positioned at the end of a straight line that connects the center of the colored part of your eyes and the tip of your nose.
6. Light it up. Use a mirror with a built in light to make sure you can see every hair; however, don't use magnifying mirrors, as these can trick you into overplucking.
7. Choose your weapon wisely. Only use tweezers with slanted, flat ends. Never use ones with pointed tips for plucking.
8. Easy does it. Don't pull too hard when you're plucking. If you're too aggressive, you could cause skin irritation, which makes it harder to pluck with accuracy. To make things easy, just focus on pulling one hair at a time.
9. Comb it out. Make it a rule to re-comb your brows after every five plucks. And on your very last comb-out you can use the small scissors and comb technique for trimming any extra long hairs.
10. End with some TLC. Apply a moisturizer or serum that contains aloe vera or chamomile extract immediately after plucking to soothe redness.
Effective tweezing takes practice, so if you're just starting out, be patient with yourself. Tweeze just a little bit every day to get your eyebrows to take shape, and always remember that the worst tweezing mistake that you can make is to over-pluck.
Ah… the beauty department beauty blog never lets us down! Whether you want to learn how to paint on the perfect cat eye liner
…or have super fine hair but want to sport super subtle waves
…TBD is the ticket. Check it out now!
More Posts Next page »