When you’re going to a club, heading to happy hour or planning to attend a party, you don’t dress to blend in. Every lady wants to be noticed at an event, but when you’re going to a crowded place or a large venue, it’s easy to get lost in the crowd. Fortunately, there are some ways that you can set yourself apart from the other ladies in the room. If you want to stand out in a crowd, read my tips, which include everything from fashion to makeup to fragrance
to hair care
1. Get glitzy. When the lights are low at a party, glitter has incredible shine, so look for ways to add some sparkle to your ensemble. A dazzling jeweled necklace, a glistening top, glitter eye shadow or a diamond finish on your nails can all attract the eye your way.
2. Go to great lengths. Your eyes are one of the first places that people look, so you’ll want to draw them in with a smoldering pair of peepers. A party or event is the perfect time to try false eyelashes. If you don’t want to go faux, use dark, long-wearing mascara from a top skin care brand like Elizabeth Arden
3. Hide your flaws. Having radiant, glowing skin is a definite head turner, but most of us don’t have perfect porcelain complexions on our own. Fortunately, you can use a full coverage foundation and matching concealer from Elizabeth Arden
or another top skin care brand to disguise those tiny flaws. Just remember to use a primer and a setting powder. If you’ll be dancing or eating and drinking, your makeup will need extra staying power to last through the night.
4. Smell sweet. Many people underestimate the power of perfume and cologne
and think only about how they appear when they’re going to an event. The truth is that fragrance makes a definite first impression, even if we don’t realize it. By choosing a feminine fragrance like Elizabeth Arden Pretty
, you can draw people in just with your scent. With its notes of Italian mandarin, star jasmine and amber, Elizabeth Arden Pretty Eau de Parfum Spray
makes an excellent signature fragrance. When you wear it to all of your events, people will even begin to associate its feminine scent with you.
5. But don’t overdo it! In hot conditions or events with closed quarters, a little fragrance can go a long way. In the summertime or when you’re attending a cramped event, opt for fragranced skin and body care products
, which are lighter and less overpowering. If you choose a scented skin care product like Elizabeth Arden Pretty Body Lotion
, your fragrance will stand out for the right reasons.
6. Don a shiny crown. I don’t mean that you should literally wear a tiara, but your hair can shine practically as bright as one when you use the right salon hair care products
. Just like glitter, lustrous hair is very noticeable in low lighting and can create dramatic effects. Shiny hair starts with choosing shampoos
that improve hair’s health and vibrancy, such as Frederic Fekkai ADVANCED Brilliant Glossing Shampoo
and Frederic Fekkai ADVANCED Brilliant Glossing Conditioner
. Don’t wait until the night of the party to start using your Fekkai shampoo
; it can take a few washings for their effects to be very noticeable.
7. Show off your style. Choosing the right hairstyle for an event or get-together can make all the difference when it comes to getting noticed. You don’t have to wear a fancy up-do to look chic; your everyday ‘do can be just as noticeable if it complements your face and is finished with fine quality styling products like those from the Frederic Fekkai Brilliant Glossing
collection. These formulas from Frederic Fekkai
maximize shine while making hair more manageable and less prone to frizz.
The most important part of the art of standing out in a crowd is to do so subtly. By choosing a signature perfume
like Elizabeth Arden Pretty Eau de Parfum Spray
and using products like Frederic Fekkai ADVANCED Brilliant Glossing Shampoo
and Frederic Fekkai ADVANCED Brilliant Glossing Conditioner
, you’ll naturally draw attention without seeming as if you’re trying too hard. Also, keep in mind that the most alluring and attractive parts of a woman are her self-confidence and her smile, so have fun, relax and be yourself!
Each year, roughly 47 percent of adults experience a headache, and nearly every person will develop a headache at least once during the course of their lives. Headaches can occur for a wide variety of reasons, and in many cases, do not mean that there is a serious or potentially fatal health problem to blame. I did some research to determine the common causes of headaches and put together this list to help those with noggin troubles.
- Intensely painful, cluster headaches are one of the most common types of headaches. They are marked by sudden pain in one given area of the head and can last for hours. Typically, cluster headaches occur at the same time every day and may return daily for weeks or even months before disappearing. At this time, doctors do not understand what causes cluster headaches, but there are some treatments available.
- Migraines are a throbbing type of headache usually accompanied by nausea, blurred vision or sensitivity to light. They usually occur on one side of the head. Like cluster headaches, migraines are also rather mysterious, but scientists do know that they are sometimes triggered by hormones, foods, stress, certain sights and sounds, lack of sleep and some medications. Triggers can vary widely among patients.
- Tension headaches typically feel mildly painful with a sensation of pressure traveling around the head. These headaches are usually caused by stress.
- Sinus headaches occur when the sinus cavities behind the face become congested with mucus or inflamed due to exposure to allergens. Typically, these headaches are felt behind the cheeks or eyes. The pain is usually a pounding accompanied by pressure and may worsen when you bend over.
- Other potential causes of headaches, which are not typically serious in nature, include:
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Very cold foods
- Pre-menstrual syndrome
- Caffeine dependence
More serious causes of headaches include
- Brain tumors
- Concussion or head injury
- Nerve damage
Ultimately, the only person who can help you understand why you're having headaches is your doctor. If you're experiencing a new type of headache or are having frequent headaches, talk to your health care provider. You should also seek emergency treatment if you ever experience a headache accompanied by confusion, difficulty speaking, a very high fever, a stiff neck or difficulty speaking, seeing or walking.
Again, this is just a summary of our basic research in order to help keep you aware, not formally informed; it is not intended to be any form of medical advice. Always seek the advice of a physician when it concerns your health.
Don’t worry about skin imperfections keeping you from donning a cute swimsuit this summer season. Simply read one of my favorite beauty blogs from Allure, The Daily Beauty Reporter
. Read author, PopSugar’s May 22nd post titled How to Hide Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and More This Bikini Season
and you’ll learn all kinds of tips on treating and concealing these bothersome skin imperfections. Enjoy bikini season thanks to Allure’s daily beauty report!
Memorial Day marks the official start of summer. Whether you're going away for the weekend, visiting a pool or having a backyard barbecue, it's important that you don't forget to slather on the sunscreen before you head outdoors. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States with more than 2 million people diagnosed with the disease annually. Wearing the right sunscreen and using it properly drastically reduces your chances of developing skin cancer in the future.
To help you protect yourself from the sun, I've put together this list of sunscreen tips and facts.
- The strength of sunscreen is measured by the Sun Protection Factor or SPF. This number refers to how much the sunscreen amplifies your skin's natural ability to protect itself from the sun. For example, SPF 10 sunscreen makes your skin 10 times less vulnerable to the sun.
- Doctors' advice about what type of sunscreen is the best varies, but the Skin Cancer Foundation and many physicians recommend SPF 30 sunscreens, as these keep 97 percent of the sun's rays away from the skin. SPF 45 sunscreen only blocks 1 percent more. Talk to your doctor about what type of sunscreen he or she recommends for your skin.
- Always use a broad-spectrum sunscreen. This means that the sunscreen is capable of battling UVA rays, which are responsible for skin cancer and premature aging, and UVB rays, which cause sunburn.
- Sunscreen should be applied anytime you will be outside, even if it's not sunny. Up to 40 percent of the sun's rays still penetrate the sky, even when the sun's not in sight.
- Use your sunscreen as directed on the packaging and reapply as recommended by the manufacturer. Anytime you swim or sweat excessively, reapply your sunscreen.
- Put your sunscreen on 15 minutes before you go outside. This will give it time to boost your skin's sun protection abilities.
- If you're using cream or lotion sunscreen, it takes about 1 ounce of sunscreen to fully cover the average body. To make sure you use enough, keep a standard size plastic shot glass with you, fill it up when it's time to apply or re-apply and scoop the sunscreen out of the glass.
- If you prefer a spray-on sunscreen, start at your feet and work your way up to your head, moving slowly. Pause for 30 seconds and then repeat the process again. Have someone else spray your back if possible. Never spray these spray-on types of sunscreen close by (or directly at) a BBQ or fire pit.
- Those with sensitive skin may experience skin irritation due to some sunscreen ingredients. If you frequently suffer from skin allergies, look for formulas that are made from 100 percent zinc oxide, a natural mineral.
- There are a wide variety of sunscreen formulas available on the market, so there is sure to be one that is easy for you to use and right for your skin. As you experiment with different brands, look for small and trial sizes that you can sample, or ask friends and family what types of sunscreens they use and borrow one application from them.
Being smart about sun protection now can mean healthier, more youthful looking skin for years to come. Enjoy Memorial Day weekend, but don't forget the sunscreen!
Believe it or not, the average woman will spend so much time applying makeup over the course of her life that if you added up every second, you’d have a year’s worth of time. That’s right, we spend the equivalent of 365 days of our lives in front of the mirror getting pretty, and we all want to get the most mileage out of our cosmetics to make all of that time spent worth it.
I’ve done some research recently to determine the best ways to improve makeup performance. Here are my tips on everything from preparing your skin for makeup
to choosing the right makeup and accessories
.1. Start with a clean slate.
Never put on makeup without first cleansing your face. Whether you take a shower prior to makeup application or use a cleanser at the sink, washing your face will remove oil and debris that can prevent makeup from adhering fully to your skin. You should follow your cleanser with all of the products in your daily skin care routine, including a toner and a moisturizer. Choose skin care products from a reputable brand like StriVectin
.2. Tighten Up.
If you have aging skin, using formulas to target problem areas can help improve the appearance of your skin and will help your makeup look better and last longer. Choose products designed to address your specific concerns. For example, if you have loose, sagging tissue along the jawline or décolletage, a product like StriVectin-TL Tightening Neck Cream
can greatly improve your skin tone.3. Prepare your canvas.
Even after performing your skin care regimen, your complexion needs to be prepared for makeup application using a primer. This type of skin care product helps to constrict the pores, controlling oil production to help prevent makeup from becoming diluted during the day. One of my favorite primers is Too Faced Primed and Poreless
, which is also enriched with vitamins A and C to provide antioxidant protection.4. Look at your lids and your pucker.
Your eyes and your lips are often the places where makeup fades the most quickly, so you’ll need to give them some extra attention prior to makeup application. Start by using a primer formulated specifically for your eyes like Too Faced Shadow Insurance
to help eye shadow glide on more easily and prevent feathering and creases. Next, apply a primer formula to your lip area to temporarily fill in fine lines and help prevent lipstick bleeding and smearing. Too Faced
makes a special lip primer formula, while other brands have combination eye and lip priming formulas.5. Chase away the darkness.
Dark circles are a common problem for many women, and as a result, we often find ourselves layering on concealer under our eyes. Typically, dark circles worsen throughout the day, so the cosmetics that were capable of covering up the discoloration in the morning are no longer enough as the day moves on. I recommend applying an under eye treatment like StriVectin-EV Get Even Dark Circle Corrector
to fade dark circles, so the darkness remains hidden away until the end of the day.6. Choose your weapons wisely.
The brushes and tools that you use to apply your makeup can greatly affect its performance. By using the right brushes for the right tasks, you can improve how well makeup adheres to your skin and extend the life of your favorite cosmetics. An easy way to be sure you have all of the correct tools on hand is to purchase brush or makeup sets
that include all of the necessary brushes and applicators.7. Pick your potion carefully, too.
Choosing the right makeup is just as important as selecting the right brushes. Look for products with pure pigments, such as mineral cosmetics
, as these types of formulas will provide more even, vivid and long-lasting coloration. Keep in mind that mineral makeup collections include liquid, loose powdered and pressed options, so there’s something for every preference in many of the ranges. Many brands offer palettes and color sets
, which make it easy to find shades that are great for mixing and matching.8. Seal It Up.
After applying your makeup, you’ll need to set it in place. You can do so with a setting powder or a setting spray. Both types of formulas create a thin barrier over your cosmetics, which helps prevent makeup from fading or being affected by weather.9. Hands off.
During the day, be mindful of where you place your hands. Even if you’ve properly set your makeup, rubbing your eyes, touching your cheeks or leaning your chin against your hand can all wipe off your cosmetics. Use a hands-free telephone whenever possible, too.10. Treat Yourself.
Set aside one or two days per week to have a spa day at home. By using skin care masks designed for the needs of your complexion, you can help keep your skin in the best possible condition, which will ultimately improve the performance of your makeup.
There you have it; my 10 best tips for a flawless face. You can find Too Faced
products like Too Faced Shadow Insurance
and StriVectin-TL Tightening Neck Cream
in the inventories of many online stores, so stock up and get ready for makeup that lasts and lasts.
With the weather finally turning warm in most parts of the country, shoe divas have summer in their sights. As you're gearing up your wardrobe for summer 2013, there are many hot trends that you can be on the lookout for as you shop. Here are some of my favorite summer shoe trends for this year.
- Sexy Serpents - Python print is very hot this season and shown in everything from heels to oxfords. The prints can range from a traditional black and white snakeskin to feminine pastel patterns.
- Get to the Point - For closed toed shoes, pointy toes are all the rage. Just make sure when you purchase these styles that you select the right width to keep your piggies comfortable and avoid calluses.
- Strapped - The ankle strap is a popular look for both sandals and pumps this season. These styles tend to slenderize the look of the ankles, making them a flattering choice for many ladies.
- On the Down Low - Your ankles will be happy this season; low heels and ballet flats are dominating many collections.
- The Wedge Edge - Platforms are being phased out of many designer collections and are being replaced with wedges. This style is much more wearable for many ladies, as it gives the illusion of longer legs.
- Clearly Fashionable - Lucite, that clear plastic that resembles glass, is a popular embellishment on many shoe styles this season. Designers are showing both Lucite heels and soles in a variety of styles.
- Colors of the Rainbow - Pastel colors and mid-tones are very popular this season and are a great way to reinvent your favorite little black dress. Hot shades include lavender, pink, turquoise and yellow.
- Snow White - The favorite neutral of the season is white. Don't worry about the long-term wear of your new white kicks either. Most fashion experts agree that wearing white after Labor Day is now perfectly acceptable.
- Cap It Off - Another popular look for closed toed and peep toe shoes is the capped toe. Caps can be metal, a contrasting shade of leather or an entirely different material like canvas or suede.
This season's looks are available in everything from pricy couture pairs to bargain brands, so you can keep your feet trendy no matter what your budget is. Many of the summer 2013 shoe trends have a classic look that will likely be en vogue for more than one season as well. Have fun with your shoe shopping and get ready to enjoy a fun, fashionable summer.
We’ve all had that experience of getting home from a party late, feeling as if we have just one eye open as we undress and prepare for bed. On such nights, it’s easy to look at your skin care products
and think, “One night won’t hurt,” and then simply head to bed without having touched them.
While it’s true that skipping your healthy skin care routine for just one night isn’t likely to have long-term negative effects on your skin, short-term problems, such as acne blemishes, blackheads, skin irritation and signs of dryness, can arise from missing one night. This doesn’t mean that you have to perform your complete multi-step beauty routine after a long night either. To help you take the best care of your skin post-party, I’ve put together this list of tips.Take It All Off
– The first thing you should do when you return home from a party is remove all of your makeup
. Fortunately, makeup removers
are available in a variety of options from no-rinse formulas, to wash-away varieties to disposable wipes, so you can decide which type is the quickest and easiest for you to use post-party.Clean Up Your Act
– Once you’ve removed your makeup, you’ll need to thoroughly wash your face to remove excess oil from your complexion and debris from your pores. When choosing cleansers
, look for one designed specifically for your skin type to ensure that you’re giving your complexion what it needs to look its best.Get Automated
– My secret weapon for post party skin care is the Clarisonic
cleansing system. This hand-held cleansing tool has a head that spins, loosening dirt and oil. The device does all the work for you, making it perfect for use post-party. The most compact models in the collection are the Clarisonic Mia
and the Clarisonic Mia 2
. Both are proven to be 2 times more effective than cleansing with your hands or a washcloth and are highly praised in Clarisonic reviews
. In addition, the devices are both available in beautiful colors, such as the Clarisonic Mia Sonic Cleansing System – Lavender
and the Clarisonic Mia 2 Sonic Cleansing System – Pink
. The main difference between the Mia and Mia 2 is that the Mia 2 has a T-Timer, which signals when you should shift the device to the next quadrant of your face. This can be a real lifesaver when you’re too exhausted after a party to even count the seconds.Watch Your Tone
- Whether you wash your face the traditional way or with a mechanical cleansing device like the Clarisonic Mia Sonic Cleansing System – Lavender
, you should follow up by toning your skin after the party ends. Toners
help to regulate your skin’s pH level to normalize your complexion. When you choose a therapeutic toner like the DDF Glycolic Toning Complex
, toning can also remove dead skin from your complexion. By exfoliating while you tone, products like the DDF Glycolic Toning Complex
have the ability to soften the appearance of wrinkles, decrease the likelihood of acne breakouts, minimize areas of skin discoloration and diminish enlarged pores.Keep Things Moist
- The final step to a healthy post-party skin care regimen is applying a moisturizer. Even if you have oily skin, moisturizers
provide essential nourishment that helps to keep your skin conditioned, youthful and radiant. I recommend choosing a therapeutic moisturizer, so that you can provide extra benefits to your complexion while you cleanse. For example if you’re using a DDF
toner and have a normal, combination or oily complexion, you could follow up with the DDF Ultra Light Oil Free Moisturizing Dew
- To make your skin care regimen as simple as possible for yourself when you get home, have your bathroom set up when you leave. On your sink, line up your makeup remover, your cleanser, your Clarisonic
device, your toner, your moisturizer and cotton pads and swabs for application. If everything is at the ready, you’ll be more likely to follow through with your skin care routine, even when you’re tired.
By maintaining your skin care
routine with essential products like makeup removers
and face cleansers
in addition to face toners
and face moisturizers
, your skin will look and feel better day after day, and that will give you something to truly party about.
Much of actress Jennie Garth's life has been lived in the public eye. We watched her grow from a teenager to a young adult playing Kelly Taylor on the nighttime drama "Beverly Hills 90210." The press followed her romance with and marriage to actor Peter Facinelli, and their recent divorce played out just as publicly. Having gained weight in recent years, Jennie has worked hard to slim down 30 pounds and is now using her status as a celebrity to encourage other women to get fit and feel better about their bodies.
Jennie's weight loss story is an inspiration for anyone who's looking to lose; whether you're 10 pounds or 100 pounds away from your ideal weight, you can follow Jennie's lead and see results. Some of Jennie's most helpful weight loss secrets include:
- The best diet is a sensible one. Jennie is a big critic of fad diets. To lose weight, she watched portion size and calorie counts.
- Choosing nutritious foods is integral to weight management. Healthy fruits and vegetables are a big part of Jennie's daily meals, and she looks for new ways to enjoy them, such as making beet smoothies.
- You can make many foods you love healthier by swapping ingredients. Jennie has explained how she substitutes caloric foods with more wholesome alternatives. For example, she now uses Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise and sour cream.
- A trainer plays an important role in fitness. Jennie worked with a trainer to develop an exercise plan that works for her. She started off with weight training and now meets with her trainer just 3 days per week. Most gyms have trainers on staff so you don't have to hire an outside professional to help you get started.
- Being active doesn't have to mean hitting the gym. Jennie has explained that she very rarely sits down. When she's doing things at home, she does them standing. She plays active games with her children and tries to keep moving as much as possible to maximize calorie burn.
- Weight management is a lifestyle. Now that Jennie has lost the weight, she still maintains a healthy diet and works out. She doesn't view her weight loss as a once-in-a-lifetime event. The changes that led to her success were simple enough to be sustainable, so that she can maintain her weight loss results for life.
If you're ready to get serious about weight management, there are many resources available. Start by talking to your doctor about your concerns and get cleared to begin an exercise and training program. As you get started, be patient with yourself. You didn't gain weight over night, so don't expect to suddenly be your ideal size over night either. Celebrate milestones along the way and remember that you're worth the hard work.
Okay…I’m hooked on A Beautiful Mess daily blog. This blog authored by two lovely ladies, Elsie and Emma, is anything but a mess! The girls say their mission is to simply blog about helping all of us to create a more beautiful life. And they’ve certainly achieved their mission! I love their ideas for recipes, inspirational motivations, fashion sense and most of all their posts on cool DIY projects. Check out their May 3rd, 2013 post, Bring the Outdoors In and you’ll see exactly what I mean!
Your complexion is greatly affected by the weather, and the change of seasons can mean differences in the look and feel of your skin. To help normalize your complexion and keep your skin healthy, it's important to adjust your skin care regimen in accordance with the seasons.
With the warm weather upon us, I wanted to research the best ways to modify skin care routines for the spring and summer. Here's a break down of how you can change your skin care routine, depending on your skin type.
- For all complexions: During the spring and summer, the Earth's tilt changes, bringing the Northern Hemisphere closer to the sun. As a result, the sun's rays are more intense, and there's a greater chance for UV-related skin damage. The most important change that you should make to your regimen with the shifting weather is adding an SPF moisturizer to your regimen and wearing an additional full coverage broad-spectrum sunscreen when you plan to be outdoors for more than an hour. Adequate sun protection can help minimize your risk of developing sun-related skin imperfections and some types of skin cancer.
- If you have oily or combination skin: Increased humidity can often mean an increase in oily shine in the T-zone. Try adding a pore refining primer or a mattifying treatment to your daytime skin care regimen to minimize oil production. Use an oil-control mask once per week to keep your pores clear throughout the warm weather months.
- If you have dry skin: Symptoms of dry skin are often completely or partially alleviated by increased humidity. While the weather is warm, you may want to switch to a lighter moisturizer, which will keep your skin from feeling greasy on hot, sticky days.
- If you have sensitive skin: Changing weather in the spring also means the arrival of allergy season. While hay fever symptoms don't typically affect the complexion, some ladies with sensitive skin notice that they have more frequent hypersensitivity reactions when their nasal allergy symptoms are severe. You may need to switch to a gentle skin care regimen until allergy season passes or purchase a hypoallergenic skin soothing treatment to alleviate redness and stinging.
- If you have aging skin: As discussed before, skin damage is more likely when the weather becomes warm, so it's time to increase your skin's defenses. To protect your complexion, use skin care products enriched with antioxidants like coenzyme Q10, idebenone, alpha linoleic acid and vitamins A, C and E. Every evening, you should also apply a skin firming treatment with either protein-rich natural ingredients like marine collagen or cosmeceutical ingredients like peptides and amino acids.
Because the weather is often unpredictable until very late spring, you may want to begin preparing your skin for the change of seasons by purchasing mini or trial size products that you can use interchangeably with your cold weather skin care products. This will also allow you to try out new formulas before you commit to large sizes.
When you’re on the run at work or exhausted at the end of the day, it’s only natural to feel tempted by quick and easy meals. We all know that good nutrition is important to our health, but it’s easy to lose sight of that with our busy lives and so many unhealthy dining options readily available. One way to help you stick to your healthy diet is to remind yourself of the many benefits of good nutrition. By having tangible benefits in mind, you’re more likely to resist temptation, make healthy food choices and remember to take your vitamins and supplements
I have researched the reasons why proper nutrition is important and put together this top five list. In addition, I’ve found some recommendations for multivitamins
and supplements that you can add to your diet if one of these reasons is at the top of your concerns.
1. Weight management
– Supporting your metabolism is key to weight management
, making choosing healthy, nutritious foods and eating a balanced diet important for all women. If you’ve picked up weight, using weight management supplements
like the Perricone MD Health and Weight Management Dietary Supplements
can help you metabolize fat more effectively to encourage safe, healthy weight loss. The Perricone MD Health and Weight Management Dietary Supplements
are complete regimens of vitamins, minerals and herbs that boost fat metabolism. If you need assistance with appetite control
to help you lose weight, the Perricone MD The Metabolic Formula Dietary Supplement
or a similar appetite suppressant may help. The Perricone MD
supplements were formulated by a physician and rigorously tested for safety; research any other brands of weight control supplements that you consider to be certain that they are as well. There are many other reputable brands of supplements available, including Imedeen
2. Improved digestion
– Many women suffer from digestive problems, such as chronic constipation and indigestion. A diet that is high in dietary fiber can help you remain regular. Studies have also found that certain bacteria in the digestive tract are important to healthy digestion. You can help regulate levels of these “good” bacteria by eating acidophilus-rich yogurt and by taking probiotics
3. Better sex
– When your diet is lacking in key nutrients, you may find yourself feeling too tired for sex or notice that you experience less frequent or less satisfying orgasms. Eating a well balanced diet, avoiding overeating and using sexual wellness supplements
can all help to increase your stamina, make you more eager for intimacy and help you to enjoy sex more.
4. More beautiful skin and hair
– It’s true; eating right does improve the health of your skin and hair. Fish oil and omegas
are shown to leave the skin looking plumper and firmer, while protein is necessary for building strong hair strands. Perricone MD
, Imedeen and other brands produce multivitamins
and supplements for beauty. My favorites are Imedeen Time Perfection
for women aged 35 to 50 and Imedeen Prime Renewal
for post-menopausal women. These supplements help to protect the skin from signs of aging with a blend of antioxidants. They also provide the body with key nutrients to strengthen and tone the skin tissue.
5. Stronger bones and joints
– For a woman, it’s never too early to begin thinking about bone and joint
health. The risk of osteoporosis and bone loss increases dramatically with age, but by ensuring that you receive an adequate supply of calcium and minerals
now, you can decrease your chances of having problems in the future. Sardines and dairy products are dietary sources of these important nutrients, but many supplements are also available to help you strengthen your bones and joints.
Before taking any new vitamins, minerals, probiotics
or dietary supplements, be sure to talk to your doctor. While products like Imedeen Time Perfection
and Perricone MD The Metabolic Formula Dietary Supplement
are tested for safety, there is a chance that the ingredients that they or any other dietary supplement may contain could interact with other medications or supplements that you take. Your doctor may also be able to recommend additional natural treatments to help you meet your wellness goals.
When you're headed out to dinner or to a club or a show, you consider every detail of your outfit from your ear earrings to your shoes, but when it comes to going to the beach, many of us simply bust out an old t-shirt and flip-flops to go with our bathing suit. Whether you're wearing a one-piece, a monokini, a tankini or a classic two-piece, you'll feel more confident and beautiful when you accessorize your swimsuit in style.
A matching sarong in a complementary print or solid color is a great way to cover up and dress up your bathing suit; however, many women shy away from sarongs because they're not sure how to wear them. Here are a few of my favorite ways to sport a sizzling sarong.
1. Fold the sarong in half and tie it at the waist with the knot at your hip for a sexy peek at your legs as you walk.
2. Show off a pretty swimsuit bottom by folding your sarong in half and tying it in the front.
3. Turn your sarong into a maxi skirt by folding the top third down and then tying it at the waist in the back. The long skirt is a hot style this season, and this look is great for ladies who feel modest walking through the lobby at the resort.
4. Go for the traditional sarong look by halving it into a triangle instead of a rectangle. Wrap the ends around your waist and tie at the sides. This is a classic beach look that is sure to put you in the mood for a tropical drink.
5. Tie the sarong at your chest after folding it into a rectangle. This will give a tempting peek at the full length of your swimsuit and show off your gams.
6. Create a sexy wrap dress by pulling the sarong across your back. Take the ends around the front of your body and then tie them behind your neck. This look is perfect for those days when you head over to the poolside restaurant for lunch or the tiki bar at happy hour.
7. Mix things up by using an alternative to a knot. Brooches and decorative hair clips can look very beautiful securing a sarong, just be sure you fully catch both layers of fabric to avoid a wardrobe malfunction when you're on the way to the pool or the beach.
Remember: you can purchase a wide variety of sarongs from prints to solids. Don't limit yourself to just the sarongs meant to match your particular swimsuit. Feel free to mix and match pieces just the way you would other items in your wardrobe. There are no rules for how you can wear your sarong, so have fun experimenting with different looks.
The appearance of fine lines and wrinkles is one of the top skin care concerns of women. Signs of aging can begin to develop at any age, particularly if the complexion suffers damage from the sun or environmental pollutants, and I receive many questions from women regarding anti-aging skin care as a result. Today, I wanted to share with you some readers’ questions that I feel can help many women in their quest to obtain more youthful complexions.1. There are so many products for anti-aging on the market and my doctor says I should use clinically proven brands. What’s the advantage?
Your doctor's advice is definitely sound. Clinically proven brands are those that have been extensively researched in a laboratory setting, similarly to the way prescription medications are tested prior to their release on the market. The testing provides data on the efficacy of the formulas, so when you select a clinically proven skin care
formula, you can be more assured that it will better likely produce results for your complexion. In addition, clinically proven formulas are also tested for safety.
An example of a clinically proven anti-aging system is the SkinCeuticals
skin care collection. The brand rigorously tests all of its anti-aging formulas, such as the very popular SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
serum. This treatment is intended for addressing signs of photo damage, including fine lines, inflammation and hyperpigmentation. In clinical studies, the formula was shown to not only improve signs of damage, but also to reduce damage to the skin by as much as 96 percent.2. I keep hearing about antioxidants. What are they and which ones are most effective? Can you recommend any specific products?
An antioxidant is a nutrient that is capable of neutralizing reactive particles in the environment known as free radicals. Your skin is constantly exposed to free radicals, which over time; damage the structure of your skin cells. Antioxidants transform these particles into harmless molecules like oxygen, preventing cellular damage. With regular use, antioxidants can strengthen the skin’s defenses, making it less vulnerable to common problems. There are many antioxidants that are effective at protecting the complexion, including coenzyme Q10, polyphenols, ferulic acid, idebenone, lutein, zeaxanthin, astaxanthin, alpha lipoic acid and vitamins A, C and E.
Many skin care brands produce antioxidant anti-aging formulas. One of my favorite products is SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF
. This formula contains a blend of ferulic acid, the polyphenol phloretin and vitamin C. A winner of multiple awards, the anti-aging serum is clinically shown to reduce cellular damage and decrease the likelihood of the development of hyperpigmentation when used daily.3. I have considered a face-lift but the traditional procedure is quite gruesome. Are there new, less invasive procedures?
Today, there are many clinical interventions available as alternatives to the traditional facelift, and each alternative is ideal for specific skin care concerns. Most facelift alternatives focus on strengthening the skin by activating the skin cells. Some women experience results from treatments that use heat to encourage collagen production and firm the skin. Lasers can also be utilized to stimulate the skin cells and tone loose, sagging skin to soften signs of aging. Microcurrent facelifts are increasing in popularity and involve using controlled electrical current applied to the skin to rejuvenate the facial cells.
In addition to clinical treatments that provide cellular stimulation, facelift alternatives can address signs of aging by working directly on lines and wrinkles. Injectables like botulinum toxin A reduce contractions in the skin tissue, making fine lines flatten. Injections of collagen or hyaluronic acid can also be used to plump the skin and fill in wrinkles. Chemical peels remove the outer layer of skin tissue, which decreases the depth of wrinkles. And of course, there are topical face treatments
that you can use at home in lieu of a facelift.
4. There has been a lot of news about human growth hormone and how it can help with aging skin. Are there any brands offering this new technology?
Human growth hormone is one of the most exciting new ingredients developed by the skin care industry in recent years. This natural or synthetically produced hormone revitalizes the skin cells, encouraging them to restart protein manufacturing in areas where the skin tissue has been weakened. Neocutis
is well known for developing skin care products
that contain human growth hormone. The brand's Neocutis Bio-Restorative Serum with PSP
combines the hormone with an amino acid and peptide blend that provides the skin with raw materials necessary for protein production. In clinical studies, the treatment was shown to begin producing results in as little as 7 to 14 days. A slightly milder version of the formula is also available for the eye area and is called Neocutis Lumiere Riche Bio-Restorative Eye Balm with PSP
5. I’m only in my 30s but I have premature aged skin. Why could this be and can I take steps to keep it from getting worse?
First of all, you're not alone, many women see their first signs of aging develop in their 30s. It's probably not possible for even your doctor to definitively tell you why your skin has aged prematurely, as usually, many factors contribute to the development of signs of aging.
Sun damage is the leading cause of premature aging, and it doesn't always come simply from sunbathing or hitting the tanning bed. Your skin is exposed to the sun every day, and that constant exposure adds up to damage over time. If you don't use a daily moisturizer with SPF to protect your skin, you should start, and be sure to apply a sunscreen when you'll be outdoors for an hour or more at a time.
Smoking is another major cause of premature aging, so talk to your doctor about strategies to quit if you're currently using tobacco. Chronic skin dehydration leaves the skin more prone to wrinkling, making the use of a moisturizer twice per day essential to protecting your complexion from wrinkles. A poor diet and stress can also contribute to signs of aging; be sure to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and take time for yourself to relax and unwind.
Remember: no anti-aging skin care
regimen will begin producing results overnight. When you start using a new product or system, be patient and give the formulas several weeks to a few months to work.
Please ask your doctors these questions and any other questions you might have. It’s important to follow your doctor’s advice before starting any skin care regimen.
We all know that whole grains are good for us and an important part of a healthy diet; the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the majority of nutritionists recommend that we eat 6 to 11 servings of whole grains per day. If you're like many people, your go-to grain is whole wheat, but after a while, it can become tedious eating the same grain day-in and day-out.
To help you add some more healthy variety to your diet, I did some research and put together this list of five alternative healthy grains.
1. Bulgur - This form of cracked wheat is very popular throughout Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines. One serving of bulgur wheat provides more than 50 percent of your daily supply of manganese and is also packed with fiber.
How to Eat It: One of the most popular bulgur dishes is tabbouleh, a salad that combines the grain with fresh chopped parsley, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and is dressed with olive oil and lemon juice.
2. Buckwheat - This hardy grain is grown throughout Russia and Asia and has an earthy taste that some describe as being similar to a mushroom. One serving of buckwheat gives you more than 20 percent of your daily requirements for magnesium, copper and manganese.
How to Eat It: Buckwheat pancake mix is readily available in many stores and makes for a delicious breakfast. Another easy to way to enjoy buckwheat is to purchase Japanese buckwheat soba noodles and prepare them with a stir-fry or a soup.
3. Quinoa - Quinoa is technically a seed, but the Whole Grains Council and nutritionists include it with whole grains because of its nutritional properties. The seeds have a slightly nutty taste and contain a complete supply of amino acids. In addition, quinoa offers more than 10 percent of your daily supply for protein and is a good source of phosphorous, magnesium and manganese.
How to Eat It: Quinoa is delicious when added to muffins and cookies and can be eaten as a breakfast cereal instead of oatmeal. You can also use quinoa in any dish that calls for rice.
4. Amaranth - This grain was first cultivated by Native Americans throughout Central and South America. Like bulgur, amaranth supplies you with more than 50 percent of your required manganese for the day and also contains more than 20 percent of the recommended magnesium and phosphorous for a standard 2,000-calorie diet.
How to Eat It: Amaranth can be popped in the microwave like popcorn and eaten as a snack. The popped kernels are also delicious topped with soymilk, low fat almond milk or low fat cow's milk and fruit.
5. Teff - The world's smallest grain, teff is a staple of Ethiopian cooking. Although you may need to order it online, teff is definitely a must try grain. One serving gives you an entire day's supply of manganese and more than 20 percent of your daily copper requirements. The grain is also rich in protein, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, thiamin and pyridoxine. The grain is also gluten-free.
How to Eat It: Teff flour can be used in place of wheat in almost any recipe. White teff grain is an excellent substitute for rice, and brown teff grain can be used in desserts, as it has an almost chocolate-like taste.
Getting 6 to 11 servings of whole grains will be much easier if you try to mix up the types that you're eating. Also, be sure to spread out the servings throughout the day and check labels to ensure that you truly understand what a portion size is--it's probably smaller than you think!
Self-described London bound girl, beauty blogger Michelle from Beauty and the Blog
continues to keep me entertained and informed when it comes to all things beauty…Particularly when it comes to her keen fashion-forward sense. Check out her April 22nd post Talullah Tu
, where she previews some great jeweled pieces from the fab collection and shares their website with us. Beautiful indeed!
More Posts Next page »